- Yes, I know I’m late to this.
- Comedy and horror both work by playing with your expectations, so that a comedian made the best horror movie in decades is not a complete surprise.
- A surprise is how good of a director Jordan Peel is: you could easily take 95% of the dialogue, and 80% of the acting, and make a comedy out of this. That it is so suspenseful and creepy is all from direction.
- Speaking of creepy: Catherine Keener. Yikes.
- Of course there was still some comedy gold — the surgery scene in particular (yes, I know it wasn’t meant to be funny).
- Watch it at least twice. The second time, pay attention to Rose (i.e. Allison Williams, i.e. Marnie).
- The 2018 best movie Oscar went to The Shape of Water. I thought it was a bad choice after watching Phantom Thread, but now it’s a travesty: Get Out was clearly the most deserving that year.
Directed by Jordan Peele, 2017